Please click here for Myth of Fragility article.
FALL CLEANSE 2013
Balanced Living Ayurveda
Upasana Giglia, MS, RYT
As we move from summer into fall, the weather becomes erratic, the temperatures cooler, and wind and rain are common. Excess heat (pitta dosha), which has built up in our bodies over the summer, if not pacified, will combine with the dampness of fall and we become prone to bacterial and fungal overgrowth, fevers, congestion, allergies, and inflammatory conditions. According to Ayurveda, it is essential to pause at the change of seasons, draw our awareness inward, rest, and detoxify. This concept is called “rutucharya” or “seasonal routine”.
Please join us for a coached fall cleanse and rejuvenation program designed to move excess heat and toxic buildup out of the body, strengthen immunity, restore balance and prepare for the cold, damp months ahead.
I am offering two options this year; both programs are designed for our unique Oregon summer/fall environment and tailored to each person’s individual constitution and state of imbalance.
- The full, 9-day “Mini-Panchakarma” cleanse, a deep but gentle cleanse best undertaken with ample time for rest, reflection and rejuvenation. Clients generally experience profound results.
- A 5-day short cleanse, designed for busy people who are not able to create more “white space” in their calendars at this time for cleansing. This cleanse is not as thorough as the 9-day cleanse, but provides effective support for achieving balance and navigating the change of seasons.
The elements of the 9-day cleanse generally include:
- Internal oleation: Consumption of a small amount of warm ghee or oil for 3 days to loosen toxins in the deep tissues and fascia and move them toward the GI tract where they can be eliminated.
- External oleation: Oil self-massage to further facilitate the movement of toxins inward.
- Purgation: Use of mild cleansing herbs to move toxins out of the GI tract and cleanse and tone the small intestines.
- Mono-diet: 5 days of consuming only kitchari (a highly nutritious dish made of mung beans and basmati rice with spices that is very easy to digest) - to give the digestive system a rest, assist the cleansing process, and provide sustenance and good nutrition.
- Nasya (Administration of oil to the nose) to cleanse the sinuses and the subtle channels in the head.
- “Basti” or enemas: Performed with an herbal and oil decoction to complete the cleansing process
- Gentle yoga asana and pranayama are usually part of the recommended program as well as plenty of rest.
- Optional supplemental treatments including traditional Shirodhara or Abhyanga Massage, or other healing modalities offered at A Healing Space. These treatments deepen the experience, assist the movement of toxins out of the body, and balance body mind and spirit.
The 5-day cleanse includes many, but generally not all, of the elements of the 9-day cleanse, for shorter duration, customized for the individual.
Full 9-day cleanse:
- Sunday, October 27 through Monday, November 4
5-day short cleanse:
- Thursday, October 24 through Monday, October 28
- Moderate weight loss
- A feeling of lightness and joy
- Release of old, “undigested” emotions and experiences held deep in the tissues
- A calm, clear mind
- Heightened body awareness
- Increased sensitivity to foods; an ability to quickly assess which foods are balancing and which are not as you return to a full diet.
- More energy
- A new relationship with food and a kinder relationship with yourself – an end to “unconscious” or emotional eating
- Some challenging days early in the cleanse – fatigue, headache, mild nausea, feeling of being cold - are not uncommon, but all pass quickly.
- Positive group support, new friendships with like-minded people!
How is the cleanse structured?
We will have a pre-cleanse orientation meeting in which you will meet your fellow cleanse group members, receive detailed instructions on implementing the different phases of the cleanse, and get all your questions answered.
Each morning during the cleanse, you will receive an e-mail from me, reviewing the steps, giving you helpful tips, encouragement and support. The group is encouraged to keep in close contact via e-mail or a private facebook forum (per the group’s preference), sharing experiences and supporting each other.
For those on the 9-day cleanse, we will meet again in the middle of the cleanse to support each other in person and to receive information on the post-cleanse rejuvenation phase of the cleanse. Both cleanses will include a post-cleanse “debriefing” meeting.
You will also have access to me by phone or e-mail throughout the cleanse for additional coaching and advice.
FOR CURRENT CLIENTS OF BALANCED LIVING AYURVEDA*
Option # 1: Full 9-day Cleanse with treatments: $240
(15% savings over purchasing services separately)
- Three group meetings (pre- mid- and post-cleanse), advice & coaching via phone or email, group support and 2 healing treatments. You may choose from:
- Abhyanga & Marma Point Massage**
- Classic Massage
- Myofacial Release
- Frequency Specific Microcurrent
- Intuitive Healing
Option #3: Full 5-day short cleanse with one treatment: $137
- Two group meetings (pre- and post-cleanse), advice & coaching via phone or email, group support and one healing treatment (see list above)
*If you are a current client of Balanced Living Ayurveda but have not met with Upasana in the past 6 months, we recommend a ½ hour consultation prior to the cleanse (not included in package price)
FOR NEW CLIENTS OF BALANCED LIVING AYURVEDA: A full, 1 ½ hour Ayurvedic assessment consultation and 1 hour post-cleanse follow up are required. Cost: $135 (regular $158)
FOR REFERRAL CLIENTS : You must be working with another Ayurvedic practitioner and provide consultation notes. This package includes a ½ hour consultation with Upasana prior to the cleanse. Cost: $30 in addition to the cost of the cleanse (above).
**Shirodhara and Abhyanga/Marma Point massage are ancient traditional Ayurvedic treatments. Shirodhara is a profoundly relaxing treatment which consists of the application of a continusous flow of warm oil to the “third eye” (mid-forehead) for 35 to 40 minutes .
Abhyanga/Marma Point massage is a 90-minute treatment that consists of deep massage with a liberal application of warm herbal oil appropriate for your constitution, stimulation to marma points (similar to acupressure points) with pressure and/or tuning forks, and sound therapy.